The early stages of a child’s life are an exciting opportunity, with the right support a child can reach for the stars.
Sadly, far too many young children are starting primary school without the basic language and literacy skills to succeed.
Story Starters is a new exciting charity programme which will change this and ensure young children have the skills, support and confidence to enjoy the perfect first chapter in their lives.
With Story Starters, trained volunteers provide fun and caring one-to-one support to a child in a local nursery, aiding their language development and introducing them to the magic of stories – could you be the one to help them enjoy the perfect opening chapter?
As a Story Starter you’ll use stories, play and conversation to give a child the positive support they need to start school ready to read. Through fun and inspiring one-to-one sessions, tailored to the child’s interests, you’ll develop and enrich their use of language and ensure they have the perfect first chapter in their lives.
Volunteer as a Story Starter for a fun and rewarding experience:
- Help a child be ready to read before they start school.
- Inspire a child to reach for the stars.
- Use and develop key skills in early years education.
- Each session brings a new experience and challenge for both you and the child.
- Make a unique contribution to a child’s life.
How does Story Starters work?
- You’ll support three children aged 3-5 years’ old on a one-to-one basis, using play and stories to develop and enrich their use of language.
- You’ll need to commit to volunteering at a local nursery for one hour, twice a week during nursery hours.
- You’ll receive professional training and support to ensure that you are best able to support young children and feel comfortable in a modern nursery setting.
What do you need to do to become a Story Starter?
- You must be able to communicate with children in a fun and inspiring manner, adapting the conversation and learning resources to their personal interests and abilities.
- You’ll need to support children aged 3-5 on a one-to-one basis in a modern nursery environment.
- You’ll need to commit to the safeguarding and welfare of the children you support, in line with our volunteering policy.
Find out more at www.storystarters.org.uk or call 0845 450 0301 to apply. Training starts on Monday 27 November.
Story Starters is a new programme that has been made possible by players of the People’s Postcode Lottery. Story Starters is a collaborative project between Beanstalk, Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library, and LuCiD (University of Liverpool).